Entries will open May 1, 2024.
*Rules subject to change before entry period opens*
When & Where
Timed trials of the Ultimate Meter Competition will begin when the exhibit hall opens at 9:30 am on Monday, September 9. They will continue all day until the hall closes after the reception, and pick back up Tuesday morning (if needed). The final single-elimination round will take place during the Exhibit Hall Finale on Tuesday, beginning at 10:45 am in the exhibit hall.
This competition is to test and measure individual’s; how quickly, totally, and accurately can they assemble a working meter. All parts will be assembled to the diagram given, meter will be tested for leaks, meter will be disassembled to ensure it was assembled properly and no parts are missing.
To facilitate many competitors, we will be conducting a single elimination tournament, where the loser of each match-up is immediately eliminated from the tournament. Each winner will play another in the next round, until the final match-up, whose winner becomes the tournament champion.
Each individual competitor will be required to completely assemble a water meter commonly utilized by water utilities for residential customers. The faster build with zero leaks in each match up will be the winner and move on to next bracket.
Each competitor will be furnished with a meter kit prior to the event. This kit will contain a completely disassembled meter. In addition, random parts will be added to this kit. These random parts could/could not be related to the meter. Each kit will have the same extra parts, this will ensure that the competitor is thoroughly familiar with all parts of the meter he/she is assembling.
- The contest is ONLY open to WaterPro attendees who own or work at a utility (i.e. cities, municipalities, water districts, etc.) or State Rural Water Association employees (i.e. Circuit Riders, Energy Efficiency Technicians, etc.).
- A time period of no more than five (5) minutes shall be allowed for each competitor to complete his/her meter assembly.
- 1st Place: Fully paid trip for two to Hawaii and trophy!
- 2nd Place: $500 gift card and trophy
- 3rd Place: $150 gift card and trophy
- All competitors will receive a Zenner T-Shirt and water bottle.
- You will receive two (2) practice meters to put together before the contest, one fully assembled and one unassembled. You do not have to return these meters to Zenner.
- All day Monday, September 25, Zenner will host timed trials at their booth in the WaterPro Conference Exhibit Hall.
- Each competitor will be ready to compete on Monday. Since the exhibit hall closes at 6:00, we will resume time trials Tuesday morning.
- Competitors will have the opportunity to be timed twice on the assembly of the meter. The best time of both times will be recorded to record. The top 16 times will move on to the single elimination challenge. The single elimination challenge will take place during the Exhibit Hall Finale from 10:45 am – 12:00 pm in the Exhibit Hall on September 26.
- All competitors in the round must completely assemble meter to have a qualifying time of record. The meters will then be tested for leaks, and function.
- In order to advance, the best time recorded will need to be on the top 16 best times. Only the top 16 competitors will advance to the Single elimination Tournament. 16 Competitors will go head-to-head to see who can assemble meter the fastest and correctly.
- A single–elimination, knockout, or sudden death elimination tournament where the loser of each match-up is immediately eliminated from the tournament. Each winner will compete in the next round, until the final match-up, whose winner becomes the tournament champion. Third place will be the matchup of the eliminated competitors from the final four contestants who didn’t advance to the finals
- The contest is open to WaterPro attendees who own or work at a utility (i.e. cities, municipalities, water districts, etc.) or State Rural Water Association employees (i.e. Circuit Riders, Energy Efficiency Technicians, etc.).
- NRWA Employees, NRWA National Board Members as well as their immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of employees, are not eligible to enter.
- Entrants MUST be present in person at the WaterPro Conference to compete in the Ultimate Meter Challenge.